The work carried out under the Newcastle Wider Road Network contract included the upgrade of 10 existing intersections across the CBD as part of the city’s efforts to improve its infrastructure, including the implementation of the new light rail (constructed concurrently with our project).
Scope of Work
- 11kV & LV power, water main, gas and communications relocations
- Excavation, stormwater, pavement, kerb, seal, asphalt and line marking
- Traffic control signal alterations
- Footpath, street lights and signage
- Tree removal
- Sewer alterations
- Construction of new kerbs and medians, then the mill and resheet of existing intersections.
- In meeting the practical completion date set by TfNSW, we faced some moderate program challenges that required us to work on eight intersections concurrently over a 24 hour timetable
- The volume of existing projects beyond ours (both expected and unexpected) running during the works
- Working on live roads and footpaths in the middle of Newcastle required careful planning and staging to successfully complete the works
- General contamination of materials in the existing pavements, with the presence of coal, tar, and other heavy metals.