The construction of a 34m shared path bridge over Newcastle Road, Jesmond to replace the existing signalised surface-level crossing on Newcastle Road.
This provides connection to a new shared path on Coles Street to the North, and a revised connection to the existing Jesmond Park shared path to the South.
Scope of Works
- Construction of a 34m single span steel arch structure with throw screens, elevated approach rams and stairs on each side of Newcastle Road;
- Ramps, stairs and retaining structures providing access to the new bridge;
- Relocation of existing utilities including overhead electricity and underground water mains;
- Roadworks in Coles Street and Jesmond Park to connect the new bridge to existing facilities;
- Roadworks for minor widening on the Northern side of Newcastle Road West of Steel Street; and
- Removal of the existing mid-block pedestrian crossing and removal of the existing bus shelter.