The winning of this tender by Daracon Landscaping was achieved through the close relationship that the Daracon Group have with Johnson Property Group, the landscaping and civil divisions have completed many project and continue to work in the Cooranbong area for JPG.
The construction of the park was on behalf of Lake Macquarie Council who owned the existing park, JPG agreed to replace the park as part of the offset for the current construction of the housing estate surrounding the area.
The scope of works for the new park was to remove the majority of the existing infra structure and double the size of the existing playground area.
The landscape scope of works consisted of the following
- Installation and maintenance of erosion control devices due to the low lying nature of the site
- Removal of all the existing play structure
- Removal, upgrade and reinstall of the existing timber seating shelters
- Upgrade of the existing brick BBQ and shelter
- Install new stormwater pipes, pits and subsoil drainage
- Install new water services for the bubblers and water hand pump
- Construction of 396m2 of concrete coloured paths, slabs and edging
- Installation of several key play items and watercourse with sandstone boulders, hand pump and weir gates to direct water
- Installation of both rubber and mulch softfall around the play equipment
- Installation of mini safety signs and line marking to the scooter/ bike track
- Working in with the clients nominated artist for the installation of the wooden totem pole, hollowed out timber canoe, signage and heritage items
- Installation of pool fencing to the front and side of the playground
- Installation of double size picnic shelter with accessible seating, tables, BBQ’s, bike racks and bins
- Installation of new gardens, feature trees and turf areas
- Constantly wet site due to the low lying location with heavy shade
- Delays with client nominated artist
- Site was flooded with 1.2m of water, 2 weeks prior to the park opening, sustaining extensive damage