Officially opened by Maitland Lord Mayor and Korean war veteran, Ronald Guthrie, with a US Air Medal recipient in attendance, the aviation-themed Wirraway Local Park project asked for a nod to its military aviation roots (reflecting the vintage WW2 Wirraway plane). The brief was to incorporate a ‘runway’ into the landscaping with the inclusion of several community-centred additions that inspired interaction and fitness, with the overarching spirit of aviation history.
Scope of Work
- Installation of mixed concrete colour surfaces to paths, play zones and ‘runway’ with line marking to designated items
- In situ concrete walls with rubber softfall covering, core-filled block walls and sandstone logs, steps and handrails to create a viewing mound
- Installation of outdoor shelters with concrete seating, litter bins, drinking fountains, taps, bike racks, bollards, shade sail and integrated solar lighting
- Installation of various play equipment with soft fall cover and mass planted garden beds with concrete edging, root control barriers, advanced tree planting, turf, palisade fencing, steel posts and cable fencing
- Maintenance of works for 52 weeks, including watering, weed and pest control, pruning, fertilising, re-mulching, mowing and trimming, top dressing and litter removal