Renewal and activation of the former Newcastle Railway Station was a priority project for the Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation (HCCDC). Known as The Station, the site provides a gateway to the East end and a critical link to Newcastle Harbour, Foreshore Park and the Queens Wharf Precinct. The Station is also an important state heritage building and a significant component of HCCDC’s Revitalising Newcastle program.
The landscaping works started in May 2020 with the early installation by crane of 9 advanced 10 and 12m tall palm trees. This was followed by the laying of over 3,400m2 of bluestone and granite paving, raised concrete planters, irrigation, seating and lighting as well as interpretive art elements that pay tribute to the sites Aboriginal and European heritage.
The Newcastle Station Public Domain was a construct only contract to develop part of the former rail corridor and bus depot as a multi-use public domain area for use as a broad scale public event space.
Scope of Works
- Demolition of existing hardstand and structures related to the existing bus depot;
- Earthworks and site relevelling of the contaminated site that was spread across two lots with three separate remediation action plans for works completed at different times;
- New services were installed across the site;
- Intricate precast concrete features ;
- Interpretive Aboriginal feature;
- Grit blasted concrete;
- Supply and installation by crane of 9 advance 10 and 12m tall palm trees;
- Soiling, mulching and planting of 15 concrete raised planters;
- Laying of over 3,400m2 of banded bluestone and granite pavers including sealing;
- Supply and installation of Newcastle Station signage;
- Supply and installation of fixed and retractable bollards;
- Manufacture, supply and install tree grates to the palms trees;
- Supply and install over 8,900 semi advance ground cover and feature plants;
- Supply and install 17 advance 600lt size specimen trees;
- Installation of a fully automatic irrigation system to gardens beds, raised planters and turf areas;
- Supply and installation of bench seating, water bubblers, bicycle racks and bins;
- Carry out 12 months landscaping maintenance;
- Misting railway track feature; and
- Feature lighting, planting and trees.