The following significant construction achievements were met on this contract:
- Full construction of 1.7 km of rail embankment up to and including capping Layer. Quantities included:
- 10,100 m3 of cut to fill
- 3,500 m3 of imported structural fill
- 1,500 m3 of imported capping material
- Management of water runoff due to 20 days of wet weather and a massive land catchment that meant earthworks construction had to be accelerated to a level where runoff effect was minimal.
- Construction of three culvert extensions up to 900mm diameter. The existing pipes to be extended involved replacing pipes to the existing culvert adjacent the active rail line. This involved ingenuity in the connection method to minimise the time factor having a large excavation exposed alongside the active rail line. These were completed very quickly and without incident.
- Installation of detailed drainage and bridging layers under the rail embankment to accurate levels and plan dimensions.
- Construction alongside an active rail line that shared freight/coal and passenger trains. Work was performed completely under Protection Officers and thus was restricted.
- Construction of the two turnouts at each end connecting the loop to the main line under fulltime strict rail occupancy.